What microserver are you using?

Hi All,

Looking into investing in a microserver to keep my media on (for viewing in the household) and to link up to the WUG servers.

Any recommendations and ‘stay-away-from-…’ advice would be appreciated.

1 Like

Currently have 2x HP Microservers, I absolutely love them! 1 i use for media storage and so on, the other for VMs and messing around. 1 of them is the new Gen8’s, which hosts is Intel based, uses alot less power than the older AMD unit. Totally recommend them.

3 Likes

Nice but flipping expensive

1 Like

Yeah @herb1

That warlock072 guy is such a geld gat I tell you

3 Likes

:thumbsup: for the microservers.

lol, I built mine overtime, like a nice tower or mast, doesnt happen overnight. Esquire has these specials from time to time and the gen8 goes for R2000-R2200 exvat. Then i just bought an upgrade very 2-3 months after that.

1 Like

Ok, gonna resurrect this again…lol

Which server would you recommend (don’t have to be micro-), cost-effective, efficient, least troublesome and long-lasting?

Reason is I’m connected to WUG via laptop and would like a server to do ‘the other functions’?

Any recommendations?

1 Like

INTEL NUC with class 10 flash drive for OS and 2-3TB single drive for storage

1 Like

@Keeva: how much is such a setup? The price of those drives are scary

1 Like

You mean @Jeeva right?

4 Likes

R2200 ex from Rectron

• Intel Next Unit of Computing Kit- Intel 5th Generation Celeron 2.16GHz Dual Core Processor, 1x DDR3 Memory Slots (Max 8GB supported) Low Voltage
  • Intel HD Graphics 5000, Integrated Gigabit Ethernet, Internal support for 2.5¨ HDD or SSD (up to 9.5mm thickness), Audio jack on the front panel
  • 2x USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0, 1 x Half-Height mini-PCI-e slot taken up by pre-installed Wireless Card, 1 x VGA, 1x HDMI, SDXC card slot
1 Like

Thanks for the description @Jeeva

1 Like

Using N54L
4 HDs in plus 5th OS hd in the top.
8gb ram

2 Likes

Also using N54L 5x 8TB seagate drives, 16 gigs ram. Modified bios. Using xpenology from usb stick. Really great nas with lots of other addons and utilities. got a few of these N54L’s some with freenas. Really worth it.

2 Likes

Nice device. i lost hope in it after cpu blew right after 1st year of having device.

1 Like

You guys are all using things that I can’t either: afford or no stock of :frowning2:

Would I be able to turn a simple tower into a multmedia server/storage device?

1 Like

Yip. Easily. Dont even need the fastest pc in the world to turn it into a multimedia server.

2 Likes

@gekido: ons moet praat
The microservers are the ultimate…tiny but powerful but expensive and unavailable.

2 Likes

They are good as NAS, but you can do so much more. You can run them as storage and host a wug site or two etc.

You would definitely. It just depends on where/how you want to do it. Before I had the server I had a n old desktop doing the duty. Was my old desktop that I slapped a few HDs. You can keep windows or install linux or go to NAS type os. I don’t like the NAS type OS because it limits things. But it might make managing shares etc. easier than doing it from a regular linux distro.

If you have a space to hide the (noisy?) desktop it can be quite convenient. What you gain with microserver is lekker drive bays. Small size. Low power consumption (wich saves money).

1 Like